Tuesday, June 5, 2012

This is Oviedo


So my time in Oviedo has come to an end. Sometimes the end felt too close, sometimes it just seemed too far. Now it is all over and I have left the precious Oviedo and am down in the hot southern city of Sevilla. 

I hadn't really thought about how much this experience meant to me until I wrote a little reflection to send to my friend, who was writing an article on Erasmus for her University's newspaper. You can read it here!

Coming from the other side of the world, little ol' New Zealand, I did not know what was awaiting me here in Spain. The stereotypes of sun, bull-fighting, and flamenco dancers all came to mind but I had been warned that that was not Asturias. What I did get though was a unique and enjoyable experience of a region that some describe as the "true" Spain with a lot of rain.


Sidra!

In typical Spanish style, partying was a priority, drinking a lot of cider was a student-must, and a relaxed attitude to everything from studying to paying your bills was an everyday occurrence. I now understand why siestas are a necessity, because the Spaniards are nocturnal.

In the words of Woody Allen, "Oviedo is like a fairy tale" and unfortunately my fairy tale in Oviedo has come to an end. The idea that I will be leaving my life here in Spain soon makes me incredibly sad but at the same time I cannot wait to get back to reality. I did not think that I would come away with such great friends, memories, and experiences. I will miss the 'Paraíso Natural', mountains covered in snow, the beaches, and the beauty of this region.

Playa de Gijón

Parque de Invierno y las moñtanas
Josh being here has also made me realise that I have adjusted to so many things that used to frustrate me. Supermarkets being closed in the afternoons or on Sundays, means planning a bit ahead is necessary. The number of old people and dogs that walk along the streets. Children staying out until well after what would be considered their bedtime in NZ. It has all become a normality for me. Also, Josh's height and size has meant he has had to adjust to people constantly staring at him. If I haven't mentioned it before, Spaniards are generally short and small. 

Living in Oviedo for five months has been an invaluable life experience, which I would never take back. They say an exchange is not a year in your life but a life in a year and I don't think I could explain my time here in any other way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment